Sunday, July 29, 2007

OLYA, PIPPA AND RON HAVE BECOME ADDICTED TO “HALLMARK”;

Friday, July 27, 2007

CNN in Europe really sucks for Americans abroad. Apparently produced in London, it’s really for Brits, not for Yanks. Frankly I wish they would caption the screen when the announcers are speaking their version of English, especially when one British weathercaster is on screen. I can’t understand one bloomin’ word she says. I hate the way she holds her elbows high in a “giddy up” posture. Besides they repeat every segment, every twenty minutes. And I don’t give a whit about how many wickets England did against India. Bloody!

I gave up on CNN after the first week. I moved to DW, the German channel that is far more intelligible.

However, after we were in Kiev for two weeks, Andry discovered he could change all the language options from Russian. So now we have a couple more channels in English. We then discovered the Hallmark Channel and Olya, Pippa and I have become addicted to it. The programs all have the sentimentality of “Little House on the Prairie”, but that’s ok by us. Andry watches his favorite cartoons on his bedroom TV in Russian. He watches Animal Planet with us in the living room.

The other night we were watching one Hallmark program about a woman helping an injured wolf-mother in a trap, while her wolf pups were playing with the woman. I whispered to Olya who was on her pallet next to our bed and asked her if she was asleep yet. Olya’s squeaky little voice replied, “No, I’m over here crying my heart out!” Well, so was Pippa.

Hallmark has been an emotional lifesaver for us, something we could count on at the end of nerve-wrecking day.

More later.

No comments: